Congratulations! You have been nominated to stand up in front of over 100 guests at the dream wedding of one of the closest people in your life. No pressure, right? Well, did you know that public speaking is the 13th most common phobia? Glossophobia: the fear of public speaking. You're not alone! But we're here to not only help you get past this fear, but to actually make it an enjoyable experience!
1. There are NO bad speeches. Nobody cares if you stumble on your words or begin crying. Everybody in attendance supports you and wants you to do well. I have DJ'd hundreds of events and have never seen a bad speech!
2. Use the Role Model method. As soon as you're about to speak, pick out someone in the room who looks up to you. Look directly at them and speak to only them. Imagine just the two of you in the room. Who thinks you're their hero and you can defeat Superman? Your child? A younger sibling? A neice or nephew? Nothing can stop you. You got this!
3. BREATHE. When the mic gets handed to you, take a second or two to look down, breathe, embrace the moment and rock that speech!
4. Write your speech down on a piece of paper, not in your phone. Your phone will cause the microphone to emit weird noises and reverb if it's too close. You do not have to write down your entire speech, just write down key speaking points in case you get nervous and forget what to say.
5. HAVE FUN! When will you be given the privilege once again to be such a big part of someone's special day? Take in the moment. The guests of honor love you — that's why they chose you! Have a great time and speak from the heart. Don't hesitate to add a little humor too!
Hopefully this helps to bring out the confidence you know you have in you. Remember, it's an honor to give a toast and you were chosen for a reason. Good luck!
Panico Entertainment can be reached by phone at 617.652.9195 or via email at email@example.com.
Panico Entertainment Boston
Panico Entertainment Boston is a mobile entertainment company providing DJ, emcee, lighting and event planning solutions for weddings, corporate, school dances, private parties and any other event requiring professional entertainment services.